[ntp:questions] suit against timezone database

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 7 18:52:50 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-06, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Just came across this on /.
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/10/06/1743226/civil-suit-filed-involving-the-time-zone-database
>
> ??????

It looks to me like a frivolous law suit, but I have not seen the
details. Facts cannot be copyright, just expressions of them. (eg
IBM vs Phoenix in the PC bios case).
Compilations cannot be copyright unless they contain some minimum of
creative work. (Just ordering the facts is not creative work ) (Telphone
book cases have established that).

Anyone can file suit. That does not mean that there is any validity to
the claims. Often it is a "pay us off, it is cheaper than going to
court even if you win". Unfortunately although blackmail is a criminal
offense, few jurisdictions are willing to go that route.