[ntp:questions] Odd behaviour in a multicast setting (bug in ntpd???)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Sep 1 15:35:28 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-01, Dave Hart <davehart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Problems with older versions which have already been resolved in 4.2.6
> and later are between you and your OS. I knew a number of multicast
> issues in older ntpd have been resolved in current releases, so
> evidence of multicast/manycast misbehavior in older ntpd is entirely
> uninteresting, from my perspective as a ntpd maintainer.
>
> We are not patching 4.2.2, nor 4.2.4, at this point. Good luck with
> them, should you choose to stick with a buggy ntpd.

If you are using versions older than the curent stable release please
contact your OS vendor / packager / aggregator for support.

It should be pointed out that the "version numbers" (e.g. 4.2.6, 4.2.4,
and 4.2.2) distort the real magnitude of the differences between the
releases.

The "version number" is formatted as
protocol_version.major_version.minor_version(incremental_version)

4.2.2 == NTP-4 v2.2
4.2.4 == NTP-4 v2.4
4.2.6 == NTP-4 v2.6
4.2.6p3 == NTP-4 v2.6.3

The stable release ChangeLog contains 950 entries between 4.2.2 and the
current stable release; 864 of those entries are between 4.2.4 and the
current stable release.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>