[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 00:09:04 UTC 2011

On 9/15/2011 5:23 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2011, at 1:32 PM, David Woolley wrote:
>>> server 1.fi.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10 iburst
>>
>> The mistake most people make is setting minpoll too low.  This is too high.
>
> What's wrong with a minpoll of 10?
>
> I recall OS vendors shipping an ntp.conf using "minpoll 12 maxpoll 17"...
>
> Regards,

Until you have read and understood Dave Mills' book on the subject, just
consider the defaults to be mandatory!

David L. Mills, "Computer Network Time Synchronization: The Network Time
Protocol on Earth and in Space, Second Edition"

The useful poll intervals range is, for most purposes, from four to ten,
which being translated, means from 16 to 1024 seconds!  The software
will select a value in that range and adjust the value as conditions change.

I think of the low poll ranges as correcting errors quickly while the
long poll intervals correct small errors very accurately.