[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 16 01:42:43 UTC 2011

On Sep 15, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Until you have read and understood Dave Mills' book on the subject, just consider the defaults to be mandatory!

Defaults should be a "best recommendation for the widest range of reasonable circumstances"; they aren't mandatory, and they aren't something which cannot be adjusted for beneficial results, at least if you have some idea as what you are doing and validate the consequences of a change via measurement.

And while I'm not David Mills or Poul-Henning Kamp, either, I've spent more than a casual effort towards understanding ntpd's source code and the corresponding kernel timekeeping mechanisms in kern/kern_time.c & kern_tc.c.  You can find some interesting threads related to this such as:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-October/057269.html
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-September/051803.html

Regards,
--