[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 14:29:16 UTC 2012

On 7/30/2012 11:47 AM, Will Shackleford wrote:

> We have several computers  with several different operating systems on a
> local network with no radios and no internet connection.
> The main goal is to keep them synchronized with each other.
>
> One frustration I have had is that clients tend to refuse to connect to
> servers on the network
> that are "not good enough". I assume "not good enough" means too high a
> stratum although the
> error messages are not that clear.

How is a system designated "not good enough"?

How about giving us the full and exact text of whatever message you are
getting.

"Cut and paste"  would be best but a carefully made copy should serve.

> My current solution is to take a laptop to another room with an internet
> connection, let it sit for an hour and
> then bring it back to connect the local network where finally the other
> computers will accept it and synchronize with it.
>

> Questions:
>
> How can I configure a client/peer to always accept a server as "good
> enough" or at least always accept the server
> when no other server can be contacted? (please answer for any platform
> below you can)

You can't without doing violence!

There is a fairly simple and not terribly expensive solution.

It's a GPS timing receiver!  They were available for about $100 the last
time I looked. Can you put an antenna smaller than a hocky-puck
where it will have a "view" of the sky?

If you can,whip out your check book!  There are other time broadcasts
that should be within a few milliseconds.  WWV broadcasts time on
several freqencies 5MHz, 10MHz and several others. Canada and most other
countries also have a time broadcast .