[ntp:questions] is USB inherently evil, or only if something else is on the bus?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Aug 8 21:34:43 UTC 2012

I've scrounged a couple old Pentium M laptops (Hewlett-Packard nc6000s
for the trivia-minded) with serial ports while entertaining the
possibility of undertaking a project to do what so many others have
done - connect-up a GPS receiver with PPS support.  That has me
wondering about some of the previous discussion about USB and how it
is perhaps not "evil" but considered quite sub-par for serving-up the
PPS signal.

Is that unsuitability inherent in USB, so it matters not whether there
is anything else on the USB, or is it more a case of being "bad"
generally only when other things are on the same USB?  I'm still
looking to go serial, but was wondering.

Also, speaking of things considered "bad" and drifting - fudging the
LOCAL(0) is definitely frowned upon right?  If I happen to have say
four servers in a location which might loose its connectivity to the
outside world I probably don't want those servers to fall-back on
LOCAL(0) right?  Would configuring each to have the other three as
"peer" entities be the way to go?

Pointers to the fine manual for any of the above would be welcome.

thanks,

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much."  - Joubert