[ntp:questions] Leap-second flag not forwarded to NTP clients

Santi Saez santi at woop.es
Tue Aug 21 08:57:11 UTC 2012

El 14/08/12 12:34, Santi Saez escribió:

> I have just found that leap-second flag is forwarded from the "master"
> to the "client" without problems on CentOS-6 boxes (running
> 4.2.4p8-2), but with the same configuration it doesn't work on Debian
> Squeeze (4.2.6.p2+dfsg-1+b1). If I query ntpd it returns
> "leap_add_sec" and "leap=01" flags, and running a tcpdump I also see
> those flags, but the "client" system seems that it's ignoring the
> flags, as I say: this only happens on Debian running 4.2.6.p2 from
> upstream.

(..)

> What can be the reason that blocks leap-second being forwarded on
> Debian/4.2.6.p2 systems?
Seems that it's a version specific behavior, with a "forward"-port
package from Lenny (4.2.4p4+dfsg-8lenny3) on Squeeze works as expected:
leap seconds fields are forwarded to the clients.

How can I achieve the same behavior with ntpd 4.2.6.p2+dfsg-1+b1 on
Squeeze? Just for the record: I want to forward leap-second flags
between NTP servers, thanks :)

Santi