[ntp:questions] NTP time compare util

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:45:00 UTC 2012

	[Cross-posting to news:comp.protocols.time.ntp, for obvious
	reasons.]

 >> Out of nothing more that idle curiosity, I am looking a utility
 >> which can display the time from several internet time servers at
 >> once.  I also need to be able to set which time servers it
 >> interrogates.

 >> Anyone come across such a utility please?

 > ntpdate comes to mind, but it could just be a Unix phenomena.  If you
 > search on Network Time Protocol (NTP) you will see much.  ntpdate is
 > a suite of client/server programs to do all this stuff.

[...]

	The ntpdate [1] version I use seems to come from the ntp.org
	package [2], apparently developed by the developers of the NTP
	protocol itself.

	Ordinarily, ntpdate(8) is used to set the system's clock to the
	time obtained by (AIUI) averaging (with weights) the times
	reported by the servers specified.  However, when started as
	follows, it can show the difference without setting time:

$ /usr/sbin/ntpdate -uvq 0.debian.pool.ntp.org 1.debian.pool.ntp.org ...

	And if the debugging mode is also set (with -d), it shows the
	individual times reported, too.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntpdate
[2] http://ntp.org/downloads.html

--