[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

Jeroen Mostert jmostert at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 10 19:08:06 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-09 16:10, Jeroen Mostert wrote:
> On 2012-12-09 16:00, Jeroen Mostert wrote:
>> I'm going to leave it alone for a bit to see the results after ntpd gets some
>> time to stabilize. For reference, I've done all of the following so far:
>>
>> - Upgraded to ntpd 4.2.7p310.
>> - Replaced individual "server" lines with a single "pool" line.
>> - Adjusted power management options within Windows to make processors run at
>> 100%.
>> - Updated the BIOS. (Also scratched my nose, which I expect has the same effect.)
>> - Turned off explicit processor frequency stepping options in the BIOS.
>> - Used "bcdedit /set useplatformclock on" to force exclusive use of the HPET
>> (I'm guessing this does nothing at the moment since interpolation isn't used).
>> - Last but not least, restarted ntpd.
>>
> And forgot:
>
> - Disabled Teredo tunneling. Likely nothing to do with the performance, but ntpd
> was logging spurious events for the Teredo interfaces appearing/disappearing.
> Since I do nothing with IPv6, I saw no reason why this should be on.

For what it's worth, after all of that, the offset is steadily zigzagging
between 27 and 41 ms, which I'm guessing is about the best you can hope for on a
Windows machine with Internet sync. There have not been any major time step
adjustments.

Thanks to all involved and especially David Taylor for his excellent site on NTP
on Windows.

--
J.