[ntp:questions] Second attempt at GPS-18 based NTP server

Paul Duncan pdu at noc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 10:02:51 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I've (temporarily) given up on the idea of using Linux for the OS, and
moved to FreeBSD, with the same GPS hardware, using some of the
information on this web page:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm

ntpq -p now says:

jitter
*dns1.rmplc.co.u 195.66.241.3     2 u   25   64    1    6.889    1.226
0.615
  91.220.127.250  130.88.200.6     3 u   24   64    1    5.600
4.940   0.274
  GPS_NMEA(1)     .PPS.            0 l   39   64    1    0.000
0.826   0.001

So, I *think* that everything is okay, and it is using the PPS signal.
There is one slight worry, which is what I see in /var/log/messages:

Feb  2 09:50:16 tock ntpd[1573]: refclock_nmea: time_pps_kcbind failed:
Operation not supported

Please note, I have not done any recompiling of the kernel at this stage
- just using the GENERIC kernel, because after reading the comments from
Per Hederland in the System software customisation section of the above
web page, it seemed unnecessary. Comments?

Thanks for your help!

Paul.

--
Sent from the AMS system at NOCS.