[ntp:questions] Come back PPS I miss you!

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Feb 11 06:26:54 UTC 2012

> I have found > vista abhorrent timekeepers, so I am running this
> particular guy on server 2003.
> But looking forward, I will have to one day, so thanks for the tip.
> It also explains the location of the PPSAPI, doesn't it :)
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Mark,

Vista and Windows-7 can be tamed, and I am seeing about 25 microseconds
averaged jitter on two Windows-7 stratum-1 servers right now (PCs Alta and
Stamsund).  This is not as good as the 2.5 microseconds averaged jitter on
the XP server, Feenix, I agree.  You can see my current results here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

(Note that the FreeBSD PC Pixie was on and off yesterday for NTP updates
and a reboot).

As far as I am aware, serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll  can live anywhere on
the PC (provided you set the environment variable which points to it), but
in my case the \Tools\NTP\ tree is an obvious location.

Cheers,
David