[ntp:questions] adding access restrictions to the windows ntp config

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 15 08:30:10 UTC 2012

Hi all,

In my research operating ntpd on Windows and Linux, I discovered that
the default ntp.conf installed by Meinberg does not have any access
restrictions.  I think it would be a good idea to add this to your file
unless you require more liberal access for your LAN, etc.  This is the
default setup for my Ubuntu Linux machines.

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# allow unrestricted access from the localhost (so that you may monitor ntpd
# and perform on-the-fly configuration changes with ntpdc)
# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
# IPv4
restrict 127.0.0.1
# IPv6
restrict -6 ::1