[ntp:questions] ntpd -g option

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Feb 15 19:08:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:54, Echols Jr, Thomas <tommy.echols at cubic.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know why this would occur?  Will a -g option not work with a
> Shared memory time source, or is there something else that needs to be
> done in tandem. Below is my ntp.conf file:

ntpd -g behavior is the same for reference clocks and upstream NTP
servers.  The timeout happens when the shared memory segment's valid
field is zero.  Bad time is triggered by incredible date or time
values.

I wonder if gpsd is requiring the time be close before sharing it with
ntpd.  Miroslav Lichvar has a patch pending to add support to
refclock_shm.c to report a timecode string in response to ntpq's cv,
you might give that a whirl:

http://bugs.ntp.org/2048

Cheers,
Dave Hart