[ntp:questions] Purpose of a leap second file?

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Thu Feb 16 06:22:25 UTC 2012

Given the recent thread here about the upcoming leap second, I wanted to
know what additional service/value the leap second file provides that
isn't handled by ntpd receiving a message to add or remove a second.  I
understand the generic ntpd documentation includes a flag to add a leap
second so it seems that the leap second file isn't necessary (and that's
also borne out in searches) but it must provide something otherwise it
wouldn't exist.  The documents mention a "graceful" handling, but what
does that mean exactly?