[ntp:questions] GPS Jammers in Use by Criminals - Warping Time for Fraud Suggested

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 06:02:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 00:23, John Hasler <jhasler at newsguy.com> wrote:
> Dave Hart writes:
>> Given the dwinding number of such clocks and relatively arcane grid
>> operational reasons, there's been some movement to abandon the
>> corrections, which seems to be stalled at the moment.
>
> I thought that they had already decided to go ahead with it.

The original AP article which brought the proposed "toss the time
error corrections to frequency" experiment to light referred to it
only as a proposal.  Given the level of bureaucracy involved in
coordinating power grids, I can't imagine how you read that as a done
deal.

That same story also quoted the heads of both NIST and USNO
timekeeping saying there would be widespread effects.

I stand by my "seems to be stalled at the moment" assessment.

Cheers,
Dave Hart