[ntp:questions] Windows and Wi-Fi - starts well, frequency steps?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Jan 1 19:40:52 UTC 2012

Rod Dorman wrote:

> But thats my point, it says nothing about transport layer
> protocols. I'm just trying to understand Dave Hart's statement

As it says nothing about them, it means that all transport protocols get
the same resilience, other things being equal (UDP opens the possibility
of multicast).

> which appears to claim the UDP over WiFi is guaranteed which I've
> never seen stated before.

In a network with a WiFi element, the WiFi element is the most likely
one to lose packets and force retransmissions, and therefore cause NTP
packets to arrive with large delays.  To a large extent it does
guarantee delivery compared with what would happen if it didn't retransmit.