[ntp:questions] Leapsecond on FreeBSD or Windows - no showstopper bugs, but ...

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 2 14:02:11 UTC 2012

"geep"  wrote in message news:jss3ca$duu$1 at speranza.aioe.org...

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 10:24:09 +0100, David J Taylor wrote:

> For what it's worth, I saw no showstopper bugs with either my FreeBSD or
> Windows systems.

Some folks weren't so lucky...
http://tinyurl.com/7zcgzf8
http://tinyurl.com/7kruykl
http://tinyurl.com/773hmjj

Cheers,
Peter
==================================

Indeed, Peter.  Although I don't run Linux, do I understand that at least
some of these problems were because the OS hadn't been kept up-to-date with
patches from a few years back?  Seems very surprising, although I can
appreciate that you don't update a major production system lightly.  I
almost have the impression it was more disruptive than the "Year 2000 bug".
I wonder why there weren't similar problems at the last leap-second
insertions?

I now see discussions starting about the merits or otherwise of using
leap-seconds....

Cheers,
David