[ntp:questions] questions] Leapsecond on FreeBSD or Windows - no showstopper bugs, but ...

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jul 3 06:20:12 UTC 2012

"Dave Hart"  wrote in message
news:CAMbSiYByhGbjTzN8HXwuJVd_1_ez_J-HWE0BNF=ivf_E8_F+Sw at mail.gmail.com...
[]
So there are at least two problems here.  First the insertion is not
happening, second when a 1s step occurs later, there's a "would have
gone backward" that shouldn't be reported.  I have an idea how to fix
that part.  For the first part, I'm leaning toward integrating the
Windows port's leap second insertion more with the POSIX daemon loop
code (while preserving the differing implementations).
[]
Thanks for the details,
Dave Hart

Presumably, Dave, if the leap second /had/ been inserted, the second message
would not have happened?  Personally, I would correct the missing insertion,
and treat the second message as a warning that /something/ unexpected had
happened!  If the leap second /had/ been inserted, then would ntp have been
confused in the period before the GPS 18/x started emitting correct seconds?
I also wonder why the 1-second step doesn't appear to have been reported in
the event log.

At least a year until we can next test this in the wild....

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk