[ntp:questions] shared memory driver not working under windows4.2.7p273++ build?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Jul 4 13:55:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Kennedy, Paul <P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au> wrote:
> Good morning Sir,
>
> I am not sure what this reply indicates.  Does it mean the Windows port
> does not / cannot support shared memory drivers?  The comment is a
> little ambiguous (replaced with what?)
>
> "CommitLog-4.1.0"(5519,45): * ports/winnt/: Replaced with new code (no
> SHM or PALISADE)

I'm not sure as I wasn't involved in ntpd development at the time, but
the implication was that there was special support in the Windows port
for SHM and PALISADE drivers (perhaps duplicating/replacing the common
driver code) which was removed as part of an overhaul of the Windows
ntpd port.

> "ntp-dev-4.2.7p270\ports\winnt\include\config.h"(348,19):/* # define
> CLOCK_SHM */
> "ntp-dev-4.2.7p285\ports\winnt\include\config.h"(349,19):/* # define
> CLOCK_SHM */

These simply indicate that as you noticed, the Windows port currently
does not include the SHM driver.  However, the code in refclock_shm.c
once was portable to Windows, and probably can be made so again
without too much effort.  You'll need to edit
ports\winnt\include\config.h to #define CLOCK_SHM to enable it, then
fix any problems compiling the code under Windows.

Cheers,
Dave Hart