[ntp:questions] losing time fast

Fritz Wuehler fritz at spamexpire-201207.rodent.frell.theremailer.net
Mon Jul 9 18:14:11 UTC 2012

I noticed the clock on my main desktop was off by 28 minutes today and it
increased to 45 minutes. I resync'd with ntpdate manually and it has drifted
behind again about 7 minutes in the last few hours.

I am using ntp version 4.2.4p7 which was installed with Slackware on Linux
kernel 2.6.29.6. Until today the clock on this system has always matched the
clocks of the other machines on my network. The system has been running for
several years essentially unchanged.

The only thing that changed (that I know of) is I added a new machine to my
network recently. Its clock matches all the other clocks. I don't see any
unusual messages from ntpd in my log or messages files on the system with
the problem. One system has problems, all others appear to be fine and have
synchronized clocks.

I realize this isn't much information but I don't know what to look for. Can
anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this? Thank you.