[ntp:questions] Clock time synchronization of four computers

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Jul 10 05:37:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-09, Dave Hart <hart at ntp.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 21:00 UTC, unruh wrote:
>> If he is having trouble keeping many second sync with pool servers, he
>> is going to have trouble with keeping sync with a master. And if that
>> master goes out for some reason, he will be totally up the creek.
>
> There's a big difference between synchronization across a LAN you
> control vs an internet connection.  For keeping a set of machines
> close, a local master setup will keep them closer than each hitting
> the pool.  You don't have to have a single point of failure.  You can
> use just about any hierarchy you want, up to a self-healing
> orphan+manycast mesh.

While I would agree if his network error were a few ms, his claim is
that it is a few seconds, and tht I find very hard to believe, unless he
is on a 300 bd modem with a download going on as his network connection.

And how is each computer connected to a different set of pool servers a
"single point of failure" unless you mean the lan connection (and we do
not know if that is single point). Anyway, a single master is also a
"single point of failure."