[ntp:questions] Meinberg is raffling off PCI Express clocks for participation in the NTP Pool

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at techstarship.com
Fri Jul 13 12:46:55 UTC 2012

DaveB <g8kbv at uko2.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <slrnjvvp7u.pc3.nomail at xs8.xs4all.nl>, nomail at example.com
>says...
>>
>> DaveB <g8kbv at uko2.co.uk> wrote:
>> > In article <slrnjvvn3u.l3l.nomail at xs8.xs4all.nl>,
>nomail at example.com
>> > says...

>> > Only ever seen one desktop with such a slot.  A Dell a couple of
>years
>> > ago, that had (we suspect) tin whisker issues.  Went for scrap in
>the
>> > end, less than 6 months old.
>> >
>> > Even the few Win7 desktop's at work, have straight PCI slots, not
>the
>> > express types, the rest are all laptops.
>>
>> Well, you must have some pretty old or at least oldfashioned systems.
>>
>> When I bought my current system in 2007 it was already hard to get
>> a modern MB that still had old PCI slots on it, and it has several
>> PCI Express slots.
>
>:-)
>
>Old fassioned maybe, but it still works and is reliable.
>
>Some of my own kit, is nearly 20 years old.  Most machines still have
>the original hard drives too, all working well, powered up 24/7, doing
>all sorts of odd things, such as NTP, or local file or media serving,
>via Linux or BSD.  (With the addition of external hard drives.  Though
>some of them don't last long these days.)  Also some signal monitoring
>and analasis via soundcard.
>
>I've had much newer "Better" kit at work that has died a terminal death
>
>after only a couple of years light use.  They just don't make stuff
>like
>they used to.
>
>This laptop is getting on for 8 years old now, and has been rebuilt a
>couple of times, using parts (including a main board) from machines
>cast
>off by others.  It doesnt get an easy life either, but is starting to
>show it's age what with the rebuilt lid hinges etc.  (I have another
>parts mule with good hinges waiting.)
>
>I just like stuff that works, and keeps on working.
>
>Regards.
>
>Dave B.

Hi Dave,

Good job running things that long.  I have a 2002 laptop (with failed hinges) still running xp.  Considering retiring it.  Just watch out for old expiring cmos batteries.  I like to run spinrite on my hdd's 2 - 3 times per year to keep them humming along.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy mailing lists and such.
I don't always see new email messages very quickly.  If you need a reply and
haven't heard from me in 1 - 2 weeks, send your message again.)

Ron Frazier
timekeepingdude AT techstarship.com