[ntp:questions] losing time fast

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Fri Jul 13 20:58:02 UTC 2012

Roger wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2012 09:00:43 GMT, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>
>> The pool DNS server, when you use "pool pool.ntp.org" or "server pool.ntp.org",
>> lookup your IP address in a location database and give you a server from
>> the country you are residing in.
>
> I get angry when a statement is made which can easily be shown
> to be incorrect. What is your source for that statement?

This might be correct for the US, but definitely not here in Norway:

C:\>nslookup pool.ntp.org
Server:  DD-WRT
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    pool.ntp.org
Addresses:  63.211.239.58
           128.10.254.6
           173.44.32.10

C:\>nslookup 63.211.239.58
Server:  DD-WRT
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    anaheim.capsaic.in
Address:  63.211.239.58

C:\>nslookup 128.10.254.6
Server:  DD-WRT
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    caspak.cerias.purdue.edu
Address:  128.10.254.6

C:\>nslookup 173.44.32.10
Server:  DD-WRT
Address:  192.168.1.1

*** DD-WRT can't find 173.44.32.10: Non-existent domain

My WRT54GL WiFi router runs DD-WRT, it is using my local Telefiber DNS
server:

C:\>nslookup pool.ntp.org 94.139.66.250
Server:  ns1.telefiber.no
Address:  94.139.66.250

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    pool.ntp.org
Addresses:  128.10.254.6
           173.44.32.10
           63.211.239.58

I.e. I get the same three servers if I query that server directly.

None of them seems to be anywhere near .no, I get ping times from 130 to
170 ms.
:-(

Terje

--