[ntp:questions] losing time fast

Sat Jul 14 06:06:56 UTC 2012

Terje Mathisen wrote:> Roger wrote:
>> Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The pool DNS server, when you use "pool pool.ntp.org"
>>>  or "server pool.ntp.org", lookup your IP address in a
>>>  location database and give you a server from the country
>>>  you are residing in.
>>
>> I get angry when a statement is made which can easily be shown
>> to be incorrect. What is your source for that statement?
>
> This might be correct for the US, but definitely not here in Norway:

Its supposed to return geographically relevant servers,
 but in practice, they are from all over the world when doing
 queries in the US too {tried several corp, and ISP nearby resolvers}.

When "pool pool.ntp.org" get used, (as opposed to several "server pool.ntp.org"),
 and hand picked local servers (corporate, ISP MAE, ...) and/or local refclocks,
 it seems like after running for a long time, the discarding and grabbing more,
 results in the remaining being closer via the net;
  Although I can see that might not be the case,
   if your server didn't churn through pool servers very often.

If you use the pool command, compare your peerstats log files,
 from the first day after a restart, till now.

Look them up with:
http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores?
www.maxmind.com/app/locate_demo_ip?ips=
ip4r.origin.asn.cymru.com