[ntp:questions] Meinberg is raffling off PCI Express clocks for participation in the NTP Pool

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Sat Jul 14 20:37:41 UTC 2012

Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
> DaveB <g8kbv at uko2.co.uk> wrote:

>> This laptop is getting on for 8 years old now, and has been rebuilt
>> a couple of times, using parts (including a main board) from
>> machines cast off by others.  It doesnt get an easy life either,
>> but is starting to show it's age what with the rebuilt lid hinges
>> etc.  (I have another parts mule with good hinges waiting.)
>>
>> I just like stuff that works, and keeps on working.

> Good job running things that long.  I have a 2002 laptop (with failed
> hinges) still running xp.  Considering retiring it.  Just watch out
> for old expiring cmos batteries.  I like to run spinrite on my hdd's
> 2 - 3 times per year to keep them humming along.

I have a standing order with our corporate PC group to save all old/to
be retired laptops that happen to have a proper serial port. :-)

My ntp2.tmsw.no ipv6 pool server (using the original GPS18 which I
soldered together with an RS232 header and a USB cable for power) is
still running on a 2002-2003 model Dell laptop. I have updated the
FreeBSD os every few years however.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>