[ntp:questions] Regarding updation of IP addresses in the ntpd.conf file

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Jul 18 18:27:37 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18, Arpith Nayak <arpithnayak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to all you mighty programmers, hackers and USENET members,
>
>    I am trying to implement an API for ntpd by which the user can specify
> which servers he wants his machine to update time from. The application

There is just one system clock, so having various users trying to update
the time is a recipie for disaster. On the other hand  you may mean that
each user has their own physical machine, and wants to control that. If
you are talking about multiple users on one machine ( even if they are
using VM) then you want only one version of ntp running controlling the
machine. Perhaps if you told us what problem you are trying to solve,
rather than asking us about your imagined solution, you might get better
advice.

The servers are controlled by /etc/ntp.conf file (Or are you using
windows?)

> however uses a single .conf file. Are there any limits specified for the
> addresses that can be given in the .conf file? Also could you please help

What did you have in mind?
The lines starting with "server" are the ones that specify which servers
the system uses.

> me out as to how I can read the IP addresses already present in the .conf

What do you mean "how I can read"? Is this a vision thing, an
understanding thing, and editing thing?

> file and how to update these values based on the user's choice? I'm also a

Why would you want to? And who is this "user"?

> novice to programming, so could you please help me out by not making your
> answers too technical?

Again. what do you hope to accomplish?