[ntp:questions] time skew error not reported

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Jul 19 19:49:42 UTC 2012

Abhidnya S Joshi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On RHEL 6.1, I tried setting time ahead by one day (using date command) and
> expected to get message from ntp in syslog.
> I did not get any message regarding time skew error.

With default options, this should cause ntpd to abort.  What options did
you have set?

Are you sure that ntpd was synchronised in the first place?  What was
the nptq peers output before, and about an hour after the change?

> Are there any config changes need to be set for ntp? is there anything I am
> missing?
> What if I set the date to one day before.? Even in this case ntp should log
> message?

Why are you trying this?  Basically people who set the date manually on
systems controlled by ntpd should have their system admin privileges
removed.  It is a garbage in condition.