[ntp:questions] Regarding updation of IP addresses in the ntpd.conf file

Mon Jul 23 21:53:48 UTC 2012

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> The use of the Undisciplined Local Clock or Orphan Mode
>  on a leaf-node system (i.e. a client-only system) is
>  strongly discouraged because it can lead to conditions
>  where ntpd erroneously chases the system clock and ignores
>  real time servers when they become available.

Hmm, I never thought of using orphan mode for a isolated client,
 {I don't see the value}.

When you have a group of computers on a LAN configured for
  orphan mode, and lose contact with remote servers,
  the LAN client/servers will follow each other around.

 Then when the remote servers can be contacted again,
  the remote servers are selected.

  This appears to happen, even if there are a large number
   of LAN anycast orphan machines, and only one remote server
   (as opposed to the recommended 4 minimum), due to the
   large dispersion that has built up while the LAN servers
   were isolated, and chasing each other in orphan mode.

  will be added to the BlackLists.