[ntp:questions] Facing some issue in the ntp version Ver. 4.2.6p1

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Jul 24 07:14:28 UTC 2012

bhargav p wrote:

> I am confused with what is a leaf node and non-leaf node.

A leaf node is a system running ntpd that does not serve time to any
other system.  As the main effect of the local clock is to declare the
time valid when it would not be valid by the normal rules, it is only
useful if something (i.e. a downstream client) is actually going to use
that time.

> I have not removed local clock. I just removed the check, still my local
> address configuration is preset in my conf file.

My impression is that you have broken the local clock to a sufficient
extent that it is no longer doing anything for you, and therefore that
you have effectively removed it.

I common misunderstanding is that ntpd clients will revert to their
natural crystal frequency when they lose their servers, unless you have
the local clock.  That is not true.  The local clock only affects the
validity flags and error statistics sent down stream.  The frequency
correction remains, even when the sources go away.

Also, from what you have said, I think you are starting your system more
than 10 minutes off from true time and you are using the option that
allows a single large step at startup.  The local clock is stealing that
  step.  The answer is to get the time about right before starting.