[ntp:questions] Never got response from NTP server

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Jul 25 17:14:06 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-25, Pan ruochen <panruochen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I tried to get time from remote NTP servers by send UDP packets. I
> could connect to the server and could successfully send the UDP packet
> out (indicated by the return value of sendto()). But I never got
> response from the servers.
> What could be the root cause?

firewall between you and the ntp servers.
You say "I tried to get time from remote NTP servers by send UDP
packets". How did you do that? Did you use ntpd? chrony? openntp?...
or did you try to send your own packets?

> I am a VPN user, does it matter?

And why would you be trying to use ntp on a VPN? The clock discipline
should occur in the base operating system, not a vpn. Imagine the
confusion as 12 VPN clients all tried to discipline the same system
clock.