[ntp:questions] Fedora 7 sync problem...

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 04:52:30 UTC 2012

On Jul 25, 2012, at 11:05 PM, OMERCIFTCIBASI at hvkk.tsk.tr wrote:
> I couldn't sync a fedora -7 machine(client) and an unix machine (server) when
> server has a remote server. On contrast when the unix one (server) has own
> local time the sync become ok.

If you set up only the local clock, it will always believe it is sync'ed,
even though it is freewheeling and may drift away from real time.

Set up your primary timeserver against 4 or so stratum-2 or pool.ntp.org servers,
via something like:

  server 0.pool.ntp.org
  server 1.pool.ntp.org
  server 2.pool.ntp.org
  server 3.pool.ntp.org

...or just "pool pool.ntp.org" if your ntpd version is new enough.  Have the
other client machines on the local subnet sync to that.  Be patient.  :-)

Regards,
--
-Chuck