[ntp:questions] Fedora 7 sync problem...

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Jul 27 07:00:23 UTC 2012

OMERCIFTCIBASI at hvkk.tsk.tr wrote:
> I couldn't sync a fedora -7 machine(client) and an unix machine (server) when
> server has a remote server. On contrast when the unix one (server) has own
> local time the sync become ok.

My guess is that the upstream server hasn't been synched in a long time
and its root distance is too great. It should still take precedence over
  the local clock driver.  I'd actually guess that it is a Windows
system running out of the box Win32time.

You shouldn't be using the local clock driver in the situation you
describe.  In most cases you should not even be using orphan mode, but,
if it is really essential to pretend to have a valid source of time,
when you don't, you should use orphan mode, not the local clock driver.

Generally though, the absolute minimum diagnostics you need here is the
output of the peers sub-command of ntpq.

Not if you post them here.