[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

Kennedy, Paul P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au
Tue Jul 31 13:19:57 UTC 2012

Hi Will,
good questions.  Before I offer an answer:

1. can you please provide samples of the ntp.conf files you have in
place.  It would really assist.
2. can you please provide the version of ntpd you are using?

regards
pk

Questions:

How can I configure a client/peer to always accept a server as "good
enough" or atleast always accept the server when no other server can be
contacted? (please answer for any platform below you can)

Fedora 6:
Fedora 10:
Fedora 14:
Ubuntu 11.04:
Windows XP:

How can I configure a server to always consider itself "good enough" and
report that (lie if necessary) so that any badly configured client will
still connect?(please answer for any platform below you can)

Fedora 6:
Fedora 10:
Fedora 14:
Ubuntu 11.04:
Windows XP:

Just for my own curiosity, why is just refusing to do what the operator
wants the default behavior for clients/peers? Why not always
synchronize as well as you can with whichever peers/hosts you can
contact?