[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Jul 31 16:06:42 UTC 2012

One option is to install a gps receiver onto one or more of your
machines to deliver accurate time to them.

The second option is to look into "orphan" mode, which was designed for
your situation.

Your problem is probably that you are using more than one of th
emachines as the "server" and they have gotten out of sync with each
otehr so that the other machines cannot figure out which is the more
accurate time. You give no indication of what you have set up so it is
pretty hard to figure out what is going wrong.

On 2012-07-30, Will Shackleford <shackle at nist.gov> wrote:

> We have several computers  with several different operating systems on a
> local network with no radios and no internet connection.
> The main goal is to keep them synchronized with each other.
>
> One frustration I have had is that clients tend to refuse to connect to
> servers on the network
> that are "not good enough". I assume "not good enough" means too high a
> stratum although the

stratum does not really matter (unless it is 15 or so) but disagreement
amongst the servers does matter.

> error messages are not that clear.

Perhaps if you told us what they were, they would be clearer to some of
us than to you.