[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Mar 14 16:35:32 UTC 2012

"Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in message
news:4F60BC0C.8040307 at c3energy.com...
[]
> OK.  Here are the loopstats from another computer for 7 days (in the
> chart).  I don't have any peerstats for it.  It has the same server
> list.  One is preferred.  All servers are active.  Performance is no
> better.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/TAZ%20loopstats%202012-03-07%20to%202012-03-14.jpg
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf-TAZ
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120313-TAZ
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120314-TAZ
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

That's horrible, Ron!  Much worse than David Lord reports.  It makes me
want to ask a number of questions:

- is this PC connected over wireless or wired?

- what else is going through the router?  Someone else downloading large
files or using streaming audio or video?

- who else might be sharing your connection?

- what type of service do you have?  Presumably not dial-up!  But what
speed?

- having checked you speed, would you describe your connection as
"stable"?

The quiet periods (e.g early Monday morning, Tuesday lunchtime) are much
nearer to what I would hope for, which makes me wonder whether something
is interfering with the connection outside those times.

Cheers,
David