[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 20 06:25:07 UTC 2012

"unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
news:JDU9r.22132$_C5.11432 at newsfe09.iad...
[]
> Of course the question still is why in the world did the system go nuts
> when it was on Local. That itself should not have happened.

If some software had told the system clock to run fast, it simply stays
running fast, even on Local.

Ron is using a single GPS device, over USB, without the backup of a few
Internet servers to stop such a thing happening, and the GPS has already
shown itself to be problematical.  NTP would normally have simply rejected
the errant GPS data and not cause the PC clock to run wild, but without
the Internet servers as backup, what is NTP to do?  I don't think it has a
choice other than to believe the GPS, even if it's incorrect or faulty.

Ron, perhaps in the future you could adopt a similar configuration to one
I've mentioned before - add some Internet servers with a long polling
interval as a second opinion for NTP:

server  <ref clock stuff>

server  0.us.pool.ntp.org  minpoll 10 iburst
server  1.us.pool.ntp.org  minpoll 10 iburst
server  0.uk.pool.ntp.org  minpoll 10 iburst
server  1.uk.pool.ntp.org  minpoll 10 iburst

using servers [network] local to yourself, of course.

Cheers,
David