[ntp:questions] Using ATOM with any system peer

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Mar 26 21:21:24 UTC 2012

This has been on my mind for a while and it's also been a while since I
thought hard about it or looked at the code.

I think one of the things we need is for a PPS source to have a "health
status" associated with it, as the original PPS sources were pretty much
stand-alone devices that could be adjusted by a process outside of NTP
to fine-tune the frequency.  Now, we have some GPS devices (for example)
that will emit PPS signals even when the device is not fully sync'd, and
we have some PPS devices (Rb clocks) that may emit PPS but expect you to
look at device status via an RS-232 connection to see how healthy or
accurate that PPS signal is.

I could be wrong, but I think there is value in understanding the
"context" in which a wide variety of PPS sources operate so we can
design a robust interface for them.

Should we create a topic on the support wiki for this discussion?