[ntp:questions] Recommendations for having offset < N milliseconds

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Fri May 4 16:56:19 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-03, Lloyd Dizon <thecarrionkind at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Do you have any recommendations on how to configure ntpd so that it
> reacts and resets correct time when offset increases by 100 ms?
>
> I'm running ntpd on virtual machine and have tried playing with the
> server minpoll and maxpoll options, but haven't been successful.
>
> Thanks for your opinion and pointers.

It is not productive to run ntpd on a virtual machine. Run it on the
real machine underneath and get the time from there. Virtual machines
have highly inconsistant system clocks.

And ntpd does reseat the time if it is off by 128ms Of course you
probably have to wait 8 cycles so it can be sure that it is the time
that is off and not the roundtrip.