[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Tue Oct 30 17:14:45 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 00:04, unruh wrote:
> On 2012-10-30, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Everything (*.*)
>>
>> Forgot one key item, process filtering:
>>
>> First line of syslog.conf:
>> !-ntpd
>>
>> [regular facility.level for various items]
>>
>> !ntpd
>> *.*		/var/log/ntp/ntpd.log
>
> Do not know this option, since on my system, ! says not to log a certain
> priority or above, and ntpd is not a priority. What version of syslogd
> are you using?

The bang (!) does do that if it's in front of a priority.  However, I'm
using the BSD version of syslogd which also allows for process
filtering.  A bang selects a process while a bang minus will deselect
it.  Then all rules after the process selection are applied to those
selected processes until another process selection occurs.  There is
also a hostname selector, too.

Debian's sysklogd man page claims it uses the BSD syslogd with a few
"enhancements" so it may work there or not, it's not documented in
sysklogd's man pages.