[ntp:questions] What is the NTP recovery time from 16s step in GPS server?

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Oct 31 18:35:41 UTC 2012

David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Ignoring the offset for the moment, if I power up the Rasberry Pi from
> cold while it sees the PPS signals (to an interrupt-driver GPIO pin) is
> never sees gpsd data ( and trying cgps -s also times out with a can't
> connect).  I've left it for about 30 minutes but gpsd never sees data.
> When I then do a warm reboot NTP sees data from gpsd right away and cgps
> -s works as well.
>
> My feeling is that I should concentrate on getting the PC to see GPS
> cold from a cold boot first, and then worry about any 16-second step.
> Would you not agree?  If so, what magic file to I have to edit and how
> to delay gpsd starting?
>
> Actually, I'm not even sure myself, as I recall that from a cold boot,
> stopping and restarting gpsd isn't enough to start the data flow, the
> GPS receiver itself has to be plugged out and back in, but I'm happy to
> try a delayed gpsd start.
>
> What do you think?

I don't know much about the raspberry.

I think it is sort of standard Linux, but then there really is no
standard Linux anymore due to all the silly changes that Ubuntu people
have been bringing.

What does the /etc/rc.d/gpsd file look like as it is now?

Is there a /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory with some .rules files in it?