[ntp:questions] System time changes only on restarting ntpd service and query about iterating through the sources

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 19:31:23 UTC 2012

On 9/5/2012 7:29 AM, unruh wrote:
> On 2012-09-04, Arpith Nayak <arpithnayak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm running into this problem.  The system time is set to 1970 after every
>
> your RTC is broken.
>
>> system reboot. The first time I enable ntpd it is contacting the ntp source
>> and getting the updated time. However it is unable to change the system
>
> How are you starting ntpd?
> What flags?
>
>> time immediately. Only after I stop the service and start it again does the
>> system time get changed. Has anyone else observed this behaviour? Also is
>> there any way to iteratively consult the various server addresses given in
>> the ntp.conf file?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Arpith

On some, or many machines, the hardware clock (time of day) is sustained
by a "coin cell" battery when power is off!  Sooner or later this
battery must be replaced.  The ones I've encountered used a "CR-2013"
coin cell.  If investigation reveals that there is such a cell it will
need to be replaced every few years.  Observe the markings
on the old battery and find a battery to match it.  If power is seldom
off and is restored quickly this battery may last for three to six
years! YMMV!!!!

As I recall,the last time I needed such a battery, I purchased it for a
dollar or two at a nearby drug store.

If this does not resolve your problem, seek professional help!