[ntp:questions] System time changes only on restarting ntpd service and query about iterating through the sources

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Sep 5 20:47:53 UTC 2012

Arpith Nayak wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm running into this problem.  The system time is set to 1970 after every
> system reboot. The first time I enable ntpd it is contacting the ntp source

I was under the impression that NTP time stamps are ambiguous on a time
scale that means a system starting with a time in 1970 will never get a
correct time.

> and getting the updated time. However it is unable to change the system
> time immediately. Only after I stop the service and start it again does the
> system time get changed. Has anyone else observed this behaviour? Also is
> there any way to iteratively consult the various server addresses given in
> the ntp.conf file?

A lot of this probably relates to the system startup scripts, not to
ntpd.  As you haven't identified the system, it is a bit difficult to be
sure what is going on.