[ntp:questions] Start of new GPS 1024 week epoch

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Aug 16 03:44:48 UTC 2013

On 15/08/2013 21:33, Magnus Danielson wrote:
[]
> They completely avoid it by not numbering it that way. They have their
> own numbering scheme that fit's the system, and the conversion over to
> UTC is an added feature. It's all in ICD-GPS-200 for the current set of
> details, and in the ION red book series for the early stages.
>
> GPS and GPS problems is best understood if you realize that everything
> is counted in the GPS clock machinery with it's own set of gears.
> Conversion isn't that hard and it is done every second in the GPS receiver.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

Thanks, Magnus.  I've not heard of ICD-GPS-2000 or ION red book before.
  Perhaps one day I will look them up.

GPS continues to impress me - I counted and on holiday recently we took
(at least) 7 GPS receivers - his and hers smart-phones, 2 iPads, Garmin
GPS 60 CSx, Ventus 750, and one built into my Sony HX200V camera!  The
Garmin spent much of its time with a puck antenna stuck on the cabin
porthole plotting our course.
--
Cheers,
David