[ntp:questions] Slow convergence loopstats (but nice results)

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Wed Dec 11 20:04:07 UTC 2013

schmidt.rich at gmail.com wrote:
> I do the latter. To use PTP to timestamp one would have to modify NTP
> source outside of refclock_phc(), which we would not presume to do.
> However the PHC loopstats has a standard deviation of 0.58
> microseconds, so we are not far off in using standard NTP
> timestamping.

OK!

It is extremely sad that history have saddled us with extremely poor
motherboard clock crystals, but now, more than 30 years after the
original IBM PC, we're getting something which is a couple of orders of
magnitude better, but as a pure side-effect of the need to time network
packets. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>