[ntp:questions] Silly question.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Dec 16 15:29:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-16, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:

> I have /etc/profile used to set profile for newly created users
> and have changed PATH so /usr/local/(s)bin is found before
> /usr/pkg/(s)bin before /(s)bin. I also updated .profile and
> .bash_profile for existing users.
>
> Note this is a security risk if users can drop programs in
> /usr/local/(s)bin

Those directories should not be writable by non-priviledged users.

e.g.

freebsd:/usr/local$ ls -al | grep bin
drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel  23552 Nov  7 03:04 bin
drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel   2560 Apr 12  2013 sbin

If you don't wish to add those directories to your search path then use
a shell alias so that 'ntpq' is /usr/local/bin/ntpq. Set it in the same
places where you updated the PATH.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>