[ntp:questions] Silly question.

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Dec 16 22:09:59 UTC 2013

DaveB wrote:
> In article <slrnlau41o.i6t.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
> kostecke at ntp.org says...
>> On 2013-12-16, DaveB <spam.goes at nowhere.com> wrote:
>>

> <Snipped>
>
>>> For now, I've a commented out line in /etc/rc.conf
>>> # ntpq_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpq"
>>>
>>> Commented out as I don't know if that will work.  (I'm still re-
>>> educating myself with the neuances of BSD, it's been a while.)
>> Your shell searches for executables in the directories specified by your
>> PATH. /usr/local/bin needs to appear in your PATH before /usr/bin if you
>> want the "ports" versions of commands to override the "system" commands.
>>
>> Or set up a shell alias.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/shells.html
>
> Hi Steve.
>
> Thanks for that link, generaly the handbook just leaves me cold.  It's a
> good reference, if you sort of already know what to do in the first
> place, but it's rubbish to learn from sadly...
>
> That page is better than most however, thanks again.
>
> I'm currently stuck, trying to get the system sources, so I can enable
> PPS support in the kernel.   The old "sysinstall" seems broken, in as
> much as it cant seem to download anything from anywhere.
>
> Where as, the newer "bsdinstall" program, want's to reformat the hard
> drive and start over each time!
>
> So...
> How do I get the system sources downloaded in a usable form, so I can
> enable pps support in the kernel and use that.  Or, do I have to trash
> the system and start over(again?)
>
> It seems (also, again) that all the documentation is some way behind
> even the stable release versions.  I can understand that with third
> party sites, but not the main FreeBSD handbook or other pages.

I'm just about to install freebsd again, my 5.2.1 wasn't really
used, and I just downloaded isos for both i386 and x64 9.2
"ftp://ftp2.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/9.2/"

Rather than trash the system you could try the freebsd-update
utility. This probably won't solve your ntp pps problem but it
may give you a clean start for build and install of a new kernel
and base system from source. With NetBSD it just needs addition
of PPS_SYNC and HZ options to the kernel config, build, copy new
kernel and reboot.

David