[ntp:questions] PPS only configuration

Fri Feb 22 04:11:09 UTC 2013

Mike S wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> Note that rmc 5322 is 2008.
>> Many of the news readers are older than that.
>
> What's your point? Prior to 2008, RFC822 (1982) applied,
>   which places no restrictions on line length.
>  Or, if you prefer, RFC2046 (MIME, from 1996),
>  which also makes no restrictions.

We can play this off topic game forever!

* Even the spec for FLOWED {which updates RFC2046}
   says to limit their length to perhaps 66 chars,
   and not more than 78.

None of them make restrictions "MUST".

STD11 (RFC822), {and RFC722} do mention it.

Also FYI28 (RFC1855), Netiquette Guidelines, October 1995
 "Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
   with a carriage return."

* Request for Comments: 3676, Obsoletes: 2646, February 2004
<BlockQuote>
  The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters
   4.2.  Generating Format=Flowed

When generating Format=Flowed text, lines SHOULD be 78 characters
  or shorter, including any trailing white space and also including
  any space added as part of stuffing (see Section 4.4).
 As suggested values, any paragraph longer than 78 characters in
  total length could be wrapped using lines of 72 or fewer
characters.
 While the specific line length used is a matter of aesthetics
  and preference, longer lines are more likely to require rewrapping
  and to encounter difficulties with older mailers.
 (It has been suggested that 66 character lines are the most
readable.)

  The restriction to 78 or fewer characters between CRLFs on the wire
   is to conform to [MSG-FMT].

   (In addition to conformance to [MSG-FMT], there is a historical
     need that all lines, even when displayed by a non-flowed-aware
     program, will fit in a standard 79- or 80-column screen without
     having to be wrapped.
    The limit is 78, not 79 or 80, because while 79 or 80 fit on a
     line, the last column is often reserved for a line-wrap
indicator.

 [MSG-FMT] Resnick, P., Ed., "Internet Message Format", RFC2822,
April 2001
<BlockQuote>

Request for Comments: 2646, August 1999
  The Text/Plain Format Parameter
   4.1.  Generating Format=Flowed
    {Content about the same as 3676.}

 {STD11} Request for Comments: 822, Obsoletes RFC 733, August 1982
<BlockQuote>
  STANDARD FOR THE FORMAT OF ARPA INTERNET TEXT MESSAGES
   3.4.8.  FOLDING LONG HEADER FIELDS

For readability, the field-body  portion of long header fields
  may be "folded" onto multiple lines of the actual field.
 "Long" is commonly interpreted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72
  characters.  The former length serves as a limit, when the message
  is to be viewed  on most simple terminals which use simple display
  software; how ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.

   Note:  Some display software often can selectively fold lines,
           to  suit  the display terminal.
          In such cases, sender provided  folding  can  interfere
           with the display software.
</BlockQuote>

 Request for Comments: 2822, Obsoletes: 822, April 2001
  Internet Message Format
   2.1.1. Line Length Limits
{Content about the same as 5322.}

 Request for Comments: 5322, Obsoletes: 2822, October 2008
<BlockQuote>
 Internet Message Format
  2.1.1.  Line Length Limits
Each line of characters MUST be no more than 998 characters,
 and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.

The more conservative 78 character recommendation is to accommodate
  the many implementations of user interfaces that display these
  messages which may truncate, or disastrously wrap,
  the display of more than 78 characters per line,
  in spite of the fact that such implementations are non-conformant
  to the intent of this specification (and that of [RFC5321]
  if they actually cause information to be lost).
 Again, even though this limitation is put on messages, it is
  incumbent upon implementations that display messages to handle an
  arbitrarily large number of characters in a line (certainly at
  least up to the 998 character limit) for the sake of robustness.
</BlockQuote>

  will be added to the BlackLists.