[ntp:questions] Linux/Raspberry Pi: PPS driver loaded, but no PPS devices

Ralph Aichinger ralph at pangea.at
Sat Jan 5 11:59:18 UTC 2013

I just got my Sure GPS board, and harware wise it seems to work
fine. But i fail to get a PPS from the raspi side.

I have recompiled the kernel, installed the modules, and PPS
support shows up in dmesg:

root at pi:/dev# dmesg | grep PPS
[   13.660962] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered

I do not see a line for the specific PPS device, even though
I have loaded the module:

root at pi:/dev# cat /proc/modules | grep pps
pps_gpio 2219 0 - Live 0xbf076000
pps_core 7978 1 pps_gpio, Live 0xbf070000

There is no PPS device:
root at pi:/dev# ls /dev/*pp*
/dev/ppp

/dev/mapper:
control

I did compile the PPS driver with debugging enabled, but I
did not find out how to enable more verbose output.

Any hints what I am doing wrong? The PPS output is hooked
up, the blue LED is blinking, I have measured a pulse with
my voltmeter, so it seems to be a software-side problem.

TIA
/ralph