[ntp:questions] how to configure ntp for conditional use of servers, depending on my LAN status?

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:03:48 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 20:21, dar8757 at eml.cc wrote:
> i'm not sure if/how to implement this conditional fallback 'logic' for
> ntp's server selection.

I had a similar problem, and I use cfengine to solve that: depending on
the network to which I am attached, my ntpd gets a different
configuration: Italian pool servers when I am in Italy, Norwegian pool
servers when I am in Norway, but not in the office; and our office
servers when I am in the office

You can find some information about my location detection policy here:
http://my.opera.com/marcomarongiu/blog/2012/11/24/location-detection-in-cfengine

I shall write a post to describe the policy I use to write ntp.conf and
restart the service. Unfortunately, I've been quite busy lately and
wasn't able to make some room for that.

Ciao
-- bronto