[ntp:questions] Clock selection in Orphan Mode

Mathieu Deltorre deltorrem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:51:25 UTC 2013

Thanks for your answer.

Neither sync to maximum (would be unstable) nor that level of error are
> within the design envelope of ntpd.

To make sure, ntpd would be unstable, because clock selection based on
maximum time could change potentially at each iteration of select loop ?
While clock selection based on IP is stable over time. Is it correct ?

I think to use maximum time function to select clock for the time. Same as
metric based on ip address used to determine peer, except this clock
selection should be used only for the first time.

> I think refid LOOP is a fault condition.

According to the documentation : a orphan parent with no sources shows
reference ID LOOP if operating at stratum 1